December 1, 2012
What to do when you have nothing in the house but stale bread, a few (great) tomatoes and a fresh egg?
And not much energy to cook?
This is the dish for you:
1. Heat olive oil and and a clove of unpeeled garlic over a medium flame until fragrant.
2. Add several peeled & chopped tomatoes and a pinch of salt.
3. Cook for 10 minutes and remove the garlic clove.
4. Put the tomato mixture into a blender. Blend.
5. Bring water to a boil in a smallish pot. Add a good pinch of salt. Poach your egg(s) in the boiling water for a few seconds (if you’re Italian) or longer (if you’re like me).
6. Add the warm tomato sauce to a shallow bowl. (OPTIONAL: Spoon on a dollop of fresh ricotta.) Carefully place your egg(s) on top. Garnish with fresh basil or thyme & serve with toast drizzled with a yummy oil.
This recipe was adapted from the recipe for cuciniello in Roberta Corradin’s gorgeous book, Taste and Tradition (2): A Culinary Journey through Southern Italy. Thanks, Ro!